"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequeces of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of it's powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the state."







Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Crackhead Bo?

During his show yesterday, Bo Mattingly called me a crackhead, and told me to lay the crack pipe down. While it was a little insulting at first, I soon realized Bo was just mad. Fact is he was furious, and had just cause to be. I knew bringing up the Mark Schlabaugh poll would do it. See, Mark has Arkansas ranked 14th and Georgia 20th.

Bo and I were arguing about how many games Arkansas would be underdogs in, and needless to say, Bo feels Arkansas will be underdogs in more than I do. I claimed Arkansas might not be underdogs in any of their games seeing we play Alabama at home. I stated last Friday, "that while Alabama might open the week as the favorite, it was my belief that by game time, the line would be closer to a pick em. My reasoning is simply this, I don't think people are that stupid. Anytime someone that knows what their doing sees a game like this one, and by this one I mean, a game in which a highly ranked team gets a higher ranked team early in the season at home, the smart money always takes the points and the home team. By doing so, the line is usually driven down. By this reasoning, I felt Bo was being way too pessimistic.

Bo then proceeded to tell me Arkansas would be underdogs in the Georgia game. His buddy Dudley even stated yesterday he felt Georgia would be favored, and would win the game. I couldn't help but think this too was pessimistic. For one, while Arkansas should be an underdog, the facts really say something else. Georgia will be starting the season with a new quarterback, and a new defensive coordinator. Not to mention their defensive line and secondary has problems. This being the case, it's hard for me to imagine anyone could honestly believe Arkansas should be an underdog. Georgia will be favored because their at home, but should they be? Bo said, "any team that is ranked higher and at home will be a favorite. Me finding him as pessimistic as I do, and a little upset he picked Ole Miss 5th in the west, I couldn't help bringing up Mark Schlabaugh's poll, and asking him again how many teams Arkansas would be underdogs against. According to Bo's philosophy and Mark Schlabaugh's poll, there's only one and it's not Georgia.

The sum of the whole is this. It's alright to believe we can win it all. It's perfectly within our bounds this season to believe we are the best team in the country. It doesn't mean your on "crack" if you say it. Fact is, there's really not a game on our schedule we can't win. Whether we do or not remains to be seen, but no one should be afraid of getting excited by the prospects. Bo will try hard this week to dampen your blanket from the media days, but remember, he's from Florida and loves Houston Nutt. He would love to see Arkansas and Bobby Petrino flop, and Ole Miss finish third behind Alabama and Auburn. He's the kind of guy that will bring his buddy Joe Schad on because he has Arkansas 26th in some spreadsheet survey and lob softballs at him .

No comments:

Post a Comment